Skip to main content

Took My Friend To Meet Baba Jee

My friend Siraj requested me to take him to Baba Jee, so I did. Baba Jee doesn't want to be a public figure, so people don't know him as such. Only a few travellers like myself, who have come across him, know where he can be found. 

As we arrived at Baba Jee's modest abode located in the north of Pakistan near Afghanistan, he greeted us warmly, his face lighting up with a welcoming smile. He was very happy to meet Siraj, who had travelled all the way from Lahore to seek his wisdom.


Baba Jee invited us in, and we settled down over a cup of green tea and some sweets. After a brief introduction, Siraj began to share his concerns.

Siraj: Baba Jee, I feel so alone in life. I long to share my meals with someone, but even though I have family members, it’s not our tradition to sit together and eat. Everyone eats by themselves, in their own rooms. It’s not that I can’t afford it; it’s just that nobody seems interested in sitting together and eating. This makes me feel isolated.

Baba Jee: My child, it’s disheartening to hear of your loneliness. Sharing meals is a beautiful way to connect with others. Have you tried inviting them to sit together, explaining how much it would mean to you?

Siraj: I have, Baba Jee, but they are set in their ways. My mother ensures everyone eats alone. She uses the divide-and-conquer rule to control everyone, so there's no chance of us ever eating together.

Baba Jee: That is indeed a challenging situation. When you eat, do you say 'Bismillah Rahman Rahim' before starting your meal?

Siraj: Yes, Baba Jee, I do say 'Bismillah Rahman Rahim'. I heard that saying this can make the Shaitan run away. But does that mean angels will come and sit with me instead?

Baba Jee: When you say 'Bismillah Rahman Rahim', you are invoking the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. This act of remembrance and gratitude can indeed keep negative influences at bay. While we can't see angels, we believe that Allah's blessings are with us when we remember Him.

Siraj: But Baba Jee, if I don't feel the presence of angels and still feel lonely, what should I do? I am so desperate for company that I would even let Shaitan sit with me if it means I won’t be alone. During Ramzan, I even spent aftari and sehri alone for the same reason.

Baba Jee: My dear, I understand how deeply loneliness can affect you, especially during Ramzan when family and community are so important. While it is a painful experience, inviting Shaitan for company is not the solution. Instead, find solace in your connection with Allah. Even in solitude, you are never truly alone when you keep faith. Strengthen your bond with Allah through prayer and reflection.

For your Ramzan meals, consider reaching out to friends or joining community iftars and suhoors at local mosques. Many communities organize these events to bring people together, and you might find comfort and companionship there.

Siraj: Thank you, Baba Jee. I will try to keep faith and seek other ways to find company and share meals. I hope this will help me feel less alone, especially during Ramzan.

Baba Jee: Keep your heart open and your faith strong, my child. Remember, your prayers and good intentions will never go unnoticed by Allah. Find joy in the small connections you make and trust that you are never truly alone. Embrace the community around you and seek out those who share your desire for connection.

Siraj thanked Baba Jee for his wise counsel, feeling a bit more hopeful and determined to seek out new ways to find companionship and share meals outside his restrictive family environment, especially during the holy month of Ramzan.

Comments