Skip to main content

Compassion or Weakness

One fine afternoon, I decided to meet Baba Jee. I went to his humble abode, but his caretaker informed me that Baba Jee was sitting by the stream, approximately half an hour away. So, I walked all the way and found Baba Jee sitting under a tree by the stream on a fine rug. He was happy to see me and jokingly asked, "Is your friend from Lahore still around?"

"No, Baba Jee," I replied, "he left for Lahore right after leaving your place yesterday."

Baba Jee then asked me to sit on the rug and offered me some green tea and sweets. He said, "What brings you today, my child?"


Sobia: Baba Jee, you know I am a kind-hearted person who finds it hard to hold grudges or take harsh actions against those who have wronged me. People often see this as a weakness and believe I lack courage. I forgive even when others have offended or hurt me unjustly. They think I do this because I am weak. Is it true?

Baba Jee: My child, true strength lies in the heart that can forgive. However, forgiveness should not be mistaken for weakness. It is a profound act of courage and compassion. But, there is a balance that must be maintained. To lead with justice, one must also know when to stand firm and uphold what is right.

The caretaker brought more green tea and, at Baba Jee's invitation, joined us on the rug.

Sobia: But Baba Jee, when I think about leaders like Nooruddin Zangi or Salahuddin Ayyubi, they made decisions that were sometimes brutal but just. They had to maintain law and order, even if it meant taking harsh actions. How can I reconcile this with my nature?

Baba Jee: Great leaders like Nooruddin Zangi and Salahuddin Ayyubi faced immense responsibilities. Their actions, though harsh, were taken to protect and maintain justice in their lands. Leadership often requires difficult decisions, and sometimes, harsh measures are necessary for the greater good. However, their actions were guided by wisdom and justice, not by revenge or cruelty.

Sobia: I have faced situations where people close to me have been treacherous. I forgave them, even when it was difficult. Is it because I am weak that I feel sorry for them and choose forgiveness over justice?

Baba Jee: It is not weakness to feel empathy and compassion. It is a sign of a deep and understanding heart. But as a leader, you must also protect those who depend on you. Justice must be served, not out of revenge, but to maintain harmony and righteousness. It is important to distinguish between personal forgiveness and the responsibility to uphold justice.

Sobia: I struggle with the emotions that follow when I bring someone to justice. Maybe that is why I choose forgiveness, to avoid dealing with those emotions. Does this make me a weak leader?

Baba Jee: A leader must be strong in both heart and mind. It is natural to feel the weight of your decisions, especially when they affect others deeply. But avoiding justice out of fear of emotional consequences can lead to greater harm. Strength comes from facing these challenges head-on and making decisions that serve the greater good, even if they are difficult.

Sobia: So, Baba Jee, how can I become a good leader without regretting the punishment of wrongdoers or standing up for my rights?

Baba Jee: Embrace your compassionate nature, but do not let it prevent you from taking necessary actions. A good leader must have the courage to punish wrongdoings and stand up for what is right. Balance your empathy with firmness. Understand that sometimes, to protect the many, difficult decisions must be made. Seek wisdom in every decision, and act with integrity and justice.

Sobia: Thank you, Baba Jee. Your words have given me clarity. I will strive to find the balance between compassion and justice, and to lead with both strength and kindness.

Baba Jee: Remember, Sobia, true leadership is a journey of learning and growth. You have the heart and the potential to be a great leader. Trust in your ability to make just decisions, and let your compassion guide you, not hinder you. May you find strength and wisdom on your path.

We continued to sip our green tea in comfortable silence, watching the stream flow gently by. The caretaker shared some stories of Baba Jee’s past, adding to the tranquility of the moment. After a while, I thanked Baba Jee again, and as the sun began to set, I rose to leave. Baba Jee blessed me and reminded me to visit again. 

With a heart full of gratitude and a mind clearer than before, I walked back to the village, feeling the weight of his wisdom settle into my thoughts. The journey back felt shorter, each step filled with renewed purpose and strength.

Comments