Skip to main content

Wisdom in Life

During my last trip to the tribal region in the north of Pakistan, I found myself once again in the company of Baba Jee before heading back to Karachi. His dwelling, a simple abode, welcomed me with a warmth that transcended its humble surroundings. As I approached, I noticed Baba Jee seated on a worn rug in his mud courtyard, soaking in the golden sunlight.

"Baba Jee, it's good to see you again," I greeted him, to which he responded with a welcoming smile.

"Come, sit beside me," he gestured to the rug, "and share what's on your mind."

Seating myself on the rug, I began to recount various incidents from my life, seeking Baba Jee's guidance. His wise eyes listened attentively, and when I finished, he shared his insights.

"My child, let me offer you a piece of advice," he began, his voice carrying the weight of experience. "Never flaunt your wealth or discuss your riches with those who may not share similar financial circumstances. Such disparities can lead to envy and strife."

As his words sank in, I couldn't help but nod in understanding. Baba Jee continued, "And when it comes to your happiness and good relationships, be mindful of those who might not be in a similar situation. Avoid rubbing it in, as it may unintentionally hurt others."

I absorbed his teachings, appreciating the simplicity and truth in his words. Eager to learn more, I probed, "Is there anything else I should be cautious about, Baba Jee?"

With a thoughtful gaze, he responded, "Exercise caution in extending excessive kindness and trust, especially to those whose integrity remains uncertain. Not everyone you encounter will have your best interests at heart. Guard yourself against potential betrayals and deceit."

Grateful for his guidance, I expressed my thanks. Baba Jee smiled, imparting a final piece of wisdom, "In life's journey, my child, tread carefully, and let your actions be guided by both wisdom and compassion."

As I bid farewell to Baba Jee and left his serene courtyard, his words echoed in my mind, a valuable compass for navigating the complexities of life.


Comments

Sumera said…
A wonderful read. Thanks for sharing.